Audi A4 Owners Manual
The windscreen wiper lever controls the windscreen wipers and the automatic wash and wipe.
Windscreen wiper lever
The windscreen wiper lever has the following settings:
Move the lever down to position 1 to give the windscreen a brief wipe.
Intermittent wipe (activating rain
Move the lever up to the stop 2.
Move the control A to the left or right to set the sensitivity of the rain sensor.
Slow wiper speed
Move the lever up to the stop 3.
Fast wiper speed
Move the lever up to the stop 4.
Automatic wash and wipe
Pull the lever to position 5.
Release the lever again. The washer will stop and the wipers will keep running for approximately 4 seconds. The number of wipe cycles varies according to the length of time the lever is pulled.
Switching off the wipers
Move the lever to the "off" position 0.
The washers and wipers will only work when the ignition is switched on.
If you stop briefly, e.g. at traffic lights, the wiper speed will automatically be reduced by one level.
The windscreen washer jets are heated when the ignition is switched on if the outside temperature is low.
About 5 seconds after the wash and wipe cycle has finished, the windscreen wiper system automatically gives the screen one extra wipe to remove any dribbles of water.
If you want to deactivate the dribble wipe function while driving, pull the lever to position 5 again within 10 seconds.
The dribble wipe function will be re-activated the next time the ignition is switched off and on.
The rain sensor will only function in the intermittent wipe position. The intermittent wipe function is activated automatically when it starts to rain.
Before you reach a road speed of 6 km/h you will have to activate the rain sensor manually by switching it off and back on again.
To reduce the sensitivity level of the rain sensor move control, fig. 67 to the left. To increase the sensitivity level of the rain sensor move the control to the right.
If you have selected a high sensitivity level for the rain sensor the windscreen wipers will react sooner to any moisture on the windscreen. The wiper intervals in the intermittent wipe setting are also varied automatically according to the road speed (in addition to the sensitivity setting).
- Poor visibility can cause accidents. Always ensure that the wiper blades are in good condition, Changing wiper blades.
- The rain sensor is only intended to assist the driver. The driver is still obliged to manually operate the windscreen wipers as required depending on visibility.
- Do not use water-repellent coatings on the windscreen. In bad visibility conditions such as light rain, low sun or when driving at night these coatings can cause increased dazzle, which is a serious safety hazard. Such coatings can also cause the wiper blades to judder.
- In icy conditions, always check that the wiper blades are not frozen to the glass before using the wiper for the first time. If you switch on the wipers when the wiper blades are frozen to the glass, this could damage both the wiper blades and the wiper motor.
- Make sure you switch off the windscreen wiper system (lever in position "0") before you use an automatic car wash. This will avoid inadvertent triggering of the wipers and possible damage to the wiper system.
- Check that the washer fluid reservoir is full before starting a long journey. Filling the reservoir.
- Worn or dirty wiper blades can cause smearing on the glass which can also impair the effectiveness of the rain sensor. Please check the wiper blades regularly.
Headlight washer system
The headlight washer system only operates when the lights are switched on.
Move the automatic wash and wipe lever to position 5, fig. 67.
The headlight washer system is always activated the first time you operate the automatic wash and wipe. Subsequently, it is only activated about every five wash and wipe cycles. The headlights are always washed if you hold the lever for longer than about 2 seconds.
The headlight washer jets come out of the bumper automatically (under water pressure).
Clean off stubborn dirt (insects, etc.) from the lenses at regular intervals, for instance when stopping for fuel.
To ensure that the system works properly in winter, keep the nozzle holders free of snow and remove any ice with a de-icer spray.
Use the service position to change the wiper blades.
Display: Windscreen wipers
You can set the wipers to the service position on the sound system or MMI*.
If the wiper blades are not frozen to the windscreen, move the windscreen wiper
lever to the "off" position, fig. 67.
Select: Function selector button CAR > Windscreen wipers > Service position ⇒ fig. 68.
on - the wiper blades can only be replaced when the wiper arms are in the service position ⇒ fig. 69. If you only work on the wipers when they are in the service position you will also avoid damaging the paintwork on the bonnet.
off - the windscreen wipers will be moved back to their original position.
Never move the vehicle with the front wiper arms in a raised position as they are automatically moved back to their normal park position above a speed of 6 km/h. The paintwork on the bonnet may be damaged as a result.
- You can also use the service position, for example, if you want to fix a cover over the windscreen in the winter to keep it clear of ice.
- The service position is automatically set to off when you operate the windscreen wiper lever or the road speed exceeds 6 km/h.
Changing wiper blades
Good wiper blades are essential for clear vision.
Removing the wiper blades
Taking off the wiper blade
Set the wipers to the service position.
Lift the wiper arm away from the glass.
Press the release button 1 on the wiper blade ⇒ fig. 70. Hold the wiper blade firmly and press it forwards slightly 2.
Slide the wiper blade upwards 3.
Fitting the wiper blade
Fit the new wiper blade into the mounting on the wiper arm 4. You should hear
it engage in the wiper arm.
Fold the wiper arm back down onto the glass.
- To prevent smearing on the glass, the wiper blades should be cleaned regularly using a window cleaner solution. If the wiper blades are very dirty (insects etc.), they should be cleaned using a sponge or cloth bad visibility can cause accidents.
- For safety, the wiper blades should be changed once or twice a year.
The windscreen wipers must be in the service position when replacing the blades! Otherwise the wiper motor or the paintwork on the bonnet may be damaged.