Messages in the instrument cluster display
Should the side assist be deactivated automatically, the indicator lamp in the button will go out and a message will appear in the instrument cluster display:
Audi side assist not available: sensors blocked
The sensors, which are not externally visible, are incorporated on either side of the rear bumper, fig. 163. To ensure the proper function of the side assist system, do not attach any objects (such as stickers or bicycle carriers, etc.) to the rear bumper in such a way that they might obstruct these sensors. Should the function of the system be impaired, the instrument cluster display will show this message. Please check whether anything is obstructing the sensors and remove the obstruction if necessary.
Audi side assist currently not available
The side assist is temporarily inoperative and cannot be switched on (for instance if the battery is not sufficiently charged).
Audi side assist: system fault
The system should be checked by an Audi dealership or other qualified workshop.
Audi side assist not available when towing
On vehicles with a factory-fitted towing bracket the side assist function will be switched off automatically when the electrical connector for the trailer is plugged in, and this message will appear in the instrument cluster display. The side assist function may not be switched off automatically if the towing bracket is not of the factoryfitted type.
The function of the side assist can be restricted when driving in tight bends or over crests and in bad weather conditions.
It is possible that the radar sensors may register objects such as high or offset roadside barriers as well as other vehicles.
The side assist system is programmed for lanes of a fixed width, and is not able to measure differing lane widths. It monitors a zone equivalent to one normal lane width on either side. If the lanes are narrower than this, or if vehicles are not travelling in the centre of the lanes, the system may give a warning for vehicles which it judges to be critical, even though they are not in fact travelling in an adjacent lane.
- Х Please note that the sensors are not always able to detect all vehicles which may represent a potential hazard (accident risk).
- Х Please note that the side assist is not able to give adequate warning of vehicles approaching very fast from behind, or vehicles that you are overtaking rapidly.
- Х The radar sensor's "field of vision" can be impaired by rain, snow or a lot of water on the road. This results in vehicles not being reliably recognised or, in some circumstances, not being detected at all by the side assist. Always give your full attention to the position of your vehicle on the road and other nearby traffic.
- Х The side assist only gives a warning of approaching vehicles and vehicles in the blind spots when road speed is above 60 km/h.
- Х Please note that the side assist does not operate in tight bends (with a radius of less than 200 metres).
- Х The side assist feature is not a substitute for the full concentration of the driver. The driver is always responsible for the safety of lane changes and other manoeuvres. Always give your full attention to the position of your vehicle on the road and other nearby traffic.
To avoid impairing the function of the side assist, do not attach any objects (e.g. stickers or bicycle carriers) in such a way that they might interfere with the radar sensors in the rear bumper.
For reasons of safety, the side assist system must be checked by a qualified workshop if the positions of the radar sensors have been affected by a rear-end collision, etc.
The side assist employs radar sensors operating in one of two frequency bands at 24 GHz. Please note that in some countries only one of these two frequency bands is permitted. Accordingly, the frequency band permitted in the country where the vehicle is being operated must be set by a qualified workshop, or if necessary the side assist must be deactivated.
The manufacturer certifies that, when used in the authorised manner, the side assist conforms with the requirements of І3 and the other relevant provisions of the У1999/5/EC Guideline issued by the European Parliament and the European CouncilФ.
The side assist is certified for use in the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, GB/Northern Ireland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, (San Marino, Vatican City), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (Andorra, Balearic Islands, Canary Islands), Sweden, Switzerland.