Audi A4 Owners Manual
Starting the engine with the key
You can use the ignition key to switch on the ignition and start the engine.
– Insert the key into the ignition lock.
– Manual gearbox: Press the clutch pedal all the way down and move the gear lever into neutral.
– Automatic gearbox: Press the brake pedal and move the selector lever to position P or N.
– Press in the key ⇒ fig. 130 to start the engine.
– Diesel engines can take a few seconds longer than usual to start on cold days. Please keep your foot on the clutch or brake pedal until the engine starts. The glow plug indicator lamp lights up in
If you press in the key without pressing the clutch or brake pedal, the ignition will be switched on or off. The steering lock is released when the ignition is switched on. Diesel engines continue to be automatically preheated.
The key can be removed only when the ignition is off. The key has to be pressed in briefly to switch off the ignition. On vehicles with an automatic gearbox, the selector lever has to be in position P.
Electrical components with a high power consumption are switched off temporarily while you start the engine.
When starting from cold the engine may be a little noisy for the first few seconds until oil pressure has built up in the hydraulic tappets. This is quite normal and no cause for concern.
If the engine fails to start immediately, the starter will be switched off automatically after a few seconds. Try to start the engine again.
Driver message in the instrument cluster display
Press brake pedal to start engine
This message appears on vehicles with an automatic gearbox if you try to start the engine without first pressing the brake pedal.
Press clutch pedal to start engine
This message appears on vehicles with a manual gearbox if you try to start the engine without first pressing the clutch pedal.
Engage N or P to start engine
This message will appear if you try to start the engine when the selector lever of the automatic gearbox is not in P or N.
Shift to P, otherwise vehicle can roll away. Doors do not lock if lever is not in P. or Please move selector lever to position P. Vehicle cannot be locked.
For safety reasons, this message will appear and a warning buzzer will sound if the selector lever of the automatic gearbox is not in position P after you switch off the ignition. Put the selector lever in position P; otherwise the vehicle can roll away. If the lever is not in position P you will not be able to lock the vehicle using the exterior locking switch on the door handle or the remote control key.
The steering is locked when the key is not in the ignition. The steering lock acts as a theft deterrent.
- • Always take the key with you when you leave the vehicle. Otherwise the engine can be started or power-operated equipment such as the electric windows can be used. This could result in serious injury.
- • Never leave children or disabled people alone in the car. The doors could be locked with the remote control key and the occupants could become trapped in the vehicle. The vehicle occupants could be exposed to extremely high or low temperatures, depending on the time of year.
- • Never remove the key from the ignition while the vehicle is moving. The steering lock could engage suddenly, and you would not be able to steer the car.
- • If a malfunction occurs in the electronic ignition lock, a flashing symbol and the message Ignition lock defective will appear in the instrument cluster display.
- • Avoid high engine speeds, full throttle and extreme load conditions until the engine has reached its normal operating temperature, otherwise this can damage the engine.
For the sake of the environment
Do not warm up the engine by running it with the car stationary. You should drive off immediately whenever possible. This will help avoid unnecessary exhaust emissions.
- • If the key should become stuck in the ignition lock, remove the top part of the key and use it to lock the vehicle.
- • If you open the driver's door while the ignition is switched on, a warning buzzer will sound, and the message Ignition is on will appear in the display. In this case, please switch off the ignition.
Switching off the engine
– Stop the vehicle.
– Automatic gearbox: Move the selector lever to position P or N.
– Press in the ignition key to switch off the engine.
Emergency Off function
If necessary in an emergency, the engine can be switched off while the vehicle is still moving. The engine will be switched off if you press and hold the ignition key.
- • Never switch off the engine until the vehicle is stationary.
- • The brake servo and the power steering system work only when the engine is running. You need more strength to steer and brake the vehicle when the engine is switched off. This would mean a greater risk of accidents and serious injury, because you cannot steer and brake in the normal manner.
If the engine has been working hard for a long time, there is a risk of heat building up in the engine compartment after the engine has been switched off; this could cause engine damage. For this reason, you should leave the engine idling for about 2 minutes before switching it off.
After the engine is stopped the radiator fan may run on for up to 10 minutes, even if the ignition is switched off. The fan may also start running again after some time if the coolant temperature rises due to a build-up of heat, or if the engine is hot and the engine compartment is heated up further by direct sunlight.